9.11.2013

She is Woman


A woman wears many different "hats" all in the span of one day. Some refer to women in general as "two-faced" or moody. I somewhat agree--but I think it just depends on which part of the lady you're talking to.

Catch me at work with customers, and I am the spitting image of the sweetest girl next door. Catch me yelling at the cooks for dragging my pancakes (when I work in a pancake house mind you, and we can't seem to keep hot pancakes coming?!?!?)--and you'd think someone smacked me. Better yet - toss a Frisbee towards my sitting 9 month old daughter, who's head is only protected with a sunhat, and you'd think my ass was on fire- you'd literally expect to see flames climbing up my backside.

My newest one yet is "MOM". It's probably the one with the shortest name-but largest amount of responsibility. When you're mom, you are never just one person. You are cook, maid, nurse, mentor, tutor, disciplinarian, sympathizer, and secretary - usually all within the first hour of being awake. Of course the list of sub-titles under the title Mom could go on for days. In a nutshell - you are your child's everything. Sounds scary doesn't it? It's not - you never knew you could love someone so much till they came along. Being their everything just comes natural to us. Guys try - and I give loads of them credit for the effort. But it's just our instinct honestly. Comes hand in hand with our emotions and monthly hormonal roller coasters - God definitely made sure to give us a reward after surviving those grueling nine months it took to grow another human being. Don't be fooled - growing another person is hard work. I luckily had a nice, happy glow throughout my pregnancy.I like to believe it covered up the continuous nausea and made those sweaty, hot flashes look somewhat adorable.

The hat I probably wear with most ease is "lover" or "partner" or "spouse" . My man and I have been through it all. From break ups, to make ups - from car accidents to a parent dying - we have been through allot already. Mind you, just because we've survived to tell the tale thus far -- does not mean we haven't had our rough patches. Every single relationship has it's obstacles and challenges -- it's all in how you handle 'em.


I'd like to think that every couple goes through shit - but we're the couple who survives it-and come out buying each other a beer or two <3 I live faithfully by the philosophy of  "I'm only getting married once - better do it right". I do not believe in divorce-I miss the days when people would work to fix relationships. Not simply dump 'em and start fresh with a new prospect.
Now, I say that's the hat I wear with most ease -- let me explain that a little bit. It is not always EASY to be my man's old lady. He puts me through the ringers some nights -- but I know I return the favor occasionally, :-P. I fully believe that I'm the only one who can give him a run for him money - since I am always 100% behind him. I'm loyal to a fault with him -- and if anyone hurts him, or fucks him over -- I am their worst enemy. I am the epiphany of a good wife -- I'm happy, I'm domesticated, I'm sexy, and I always make it clear that he is my number 1.

Bottom line, regardless of what the fight is about, or why one isn't speaking to the other--I'd rather fight with him everyday, then have a life without him.

Obviously, I have other "hats" - such as daughter, sister, cousin, niece, friend, etc. I don't think these roles are as prominent in my life as they were when I was younger though-which is a natural transgression if you look at a lifespan as a whole.

I think my daughter hat started to come off around puberty. I've always been independent--and pretty self sufficient. I think that's why my parent's don't worry about me as the other kids. I used to think that I was being punished -- not having as much support and help from them as my sister and brother; but in reality, it was an award of a type---they just didn't have to worry about me like they did the others.

The most difficult title of my life is probably Sister. My sister title has never disappeared - and never will. Your siblings are your first friends - and first enemies. My family put a lot of emphasis on sibling support -- "you will have each other forever-make it worth it". We are close in a way still -- but we have all grown in different directions. Although we might not be as close as we once were on a daily level -- I will always be there for them, no matter the issue. I'm the eldest, so naturally I see and handle things differently than them. Sugar coating's not my style-never has been and never will- and my blunt harsh reality checks have put some distance between us. Although the distance hurts, it's necessary. I will never stop being their sister - but I can stop the negative impact their words and actions have on me.

I need to remember that the BIGGEST TITLE I wear is simply my own name. The first picture I posted was an excellent summary of me as a whole. In fact, I think it needs to appear one more time--even if it's just to remind myself of how awesome I am! Everyone should have a "pick me up" quote, phrase, whatever you choose -posted somewhere it's easily seen daily. I know those quotes remind me of all the good I am-- and can be what makes a bad day tolerable.




Plain and simple - it's my life, and only I have the power to create my own happiness.

2 comments: